A high bounce rate indicates that the entry pages do not meet the requirements or expectations of visitors for a particular search query.
Analyzing the bounce rate
The value of the bounce rate can first of all be found out by the search engines themselves: Google with its service for webmasters Google Analytics.
To reduce the percentage of bounce rates you need to analyze:
- pages from which users leave. Their content may be uninteresting for users, navigation may be awkward, for example, a button “to order” may not work, non-target visitors may come to the page, etc.;
- the source of traffic (search engine, contextual ads, keywords, etc.). Rejection may be caused by the page’s irrelevance to the traffic, a lack of necessary products in the online store and other reasons.
High bounce rate does not always indicate poor resource quality. The user can find all the necessary information on the entry page: service description, delivery methods, contacts, etc.
Ways to reduce the bounce rate
- Redesign. Page design should not be overloaded with graphics. When designing the text should avoid white font on a black background, as well as low contrast text.
- Improve usability. To reduce the number of bounces should be avoided awkward menus, incomprehensible interface, lack of prices for products of interest to the user.
- Reducing the amount of advertising. On the pages of the site should not place catchy ad units, especially pop-up. In addition, the visitor may accidentally click on the banner, instead of the menu item, and go to another resource.
- Changing content. Since some keywords may not match the content of the page, they should be removed or added to the page relevant text.