Why do we need SERM
The underlying purpose of SERM – to improve the top results in search results for a particular object. To do this, activities are carried out that help build up positive mentions and neutralize negative ones. The main tool used for these tasks – SEO.
First of all, SERM is aimed at controlling the brand requests – key phrases that contain a mention of the promoted object. In addition, all the results of the top 10 (top 20) search results associated with the object.
SERM helps to solve the following tasks:
- create a favorable perception of the object with the target audience;
- change customers’ opinions by promoting the right image of the object;
- to work on the reputation of the company as an employer;
- create demand for new or insufficiently known products;
- fight against unfair competitors and “black” PR.
The goal of SERM is to create a positive perception of the object in the audience by studying the search results.
The difference between SERM and ORM
SERM is often confused with a similar term – ORM (Online reputation management – reputation management on the Internet).
The difference is that ORM implies work on improving one’s online reputation in general: on one’s own website, on thematic resources and feedback sites, in social networks, on forums, etc.
SERM area of responsibility – search engine results. Of course, the implementation of SEO-strategy requires work with content on various resources. But the emphasis is on the promotion of the right queries.